News & Tips
Tips for Managing Melting Snow & Ice
With the weather warming up and Spring fast approaching, it's time for some home insurance tips to help you avoid water damage and subsequent insurance claims.
Check out these tips below:
- Clear snow from around basement windows, doorways and entrances, and the rest of your house.
- Check your eavestroughs and downspouts for blockages that could prevent melting snow and ice from draining properly.
- Create a clear path for melting snow and ice to drain away from your home.
- Make sure that any drains around your house are clear of debris or any other blockages.
- Check your sump pump to ensure it is working properly.
- Check the catch basins and/or ditches on your street to ensure they are not blocked.
- Shovel and salt your walkways, sidewalks and driveway to prevent slips and falls.
- If you notice any water and/or water damage inside your home;
- Do what you can to prevent any further damage and contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- If you're insured with Brown & Brethour, you can call your insurance company's claim number directly or contact us.
Source: IBC http://www.ibc.ca/on/resources/consumer-resources/posters-%E2%80%93-ibc-top-10-tips
Sign up for our mailing list for insurance news, tips and updates from the Brown & Brethour team, right in your inbox.
Request a Quote
We are happy to help you with free, no-obligation property, auto, business or farm insurance quote.